Email: [email protected]
Phone: (805) 577-6742
Hours: M-F 7am-5pm PST
Scroll down for more directions for submitting frozen or dry serum samples to VDI. Shipping tips, sample handling and storage, and
Dried Serum Collection Kit Video
Shipping & Processing Tips
- Keep the tracking number!
- Dry Kits: There is a small doctab sticker at the bottom of each USPS shipping label for your records. Keep it- this is how we track samples!
- FedEx/UPS: Record the tracking number in your records
- Whenever possible, keep 0.5 – 1.0mL of serum frozen in a non-additive tube in your facility in case there are delays. This will prevent the need to redraw samples in the event of a rejection. This is good practice for all critical/difficult blood samples – even those not coming to VDI for testing.
- Samples can be stored FROZEN in a non-additive tube for up to 30 days in the freezer. Transfer serum off the clot or gel barrier to a plain tube before freezing.
- Know how to log into your online account to retrieve results – in case you don’t see the email come through.
Dry Serum Submission
- Ensure samples are properly packaged in both the silver foil pouch AND the yellow and white return envelope. Tightly, and Securely close all zip seals and glue flaps.
- Make sure there is a shipping label on the return envelope! (we know, but it has happened)
- Consider Expedited Shipping
- Acutely ill animals, difficult draws, pet lives far away, etc may all be good candidates for considering express service for faster more reliable shipping.
- Note that UPS and FedEx have suspended their shipping guarantees. Although they will try their best to meet the expected delivery date, they are not committed to it and there is no claims process for delays.
- Batch ship yellow return envelopes when using express services – it saves $$$
Frozen Serum Submission
- Only ship out Monday thru Thursday
- Be sure the samples and freezer packs are frozen solid before packaging
- Use a Styrofoam container with a tight-fitting lid, and make sure it’s closed tightly. VDI has frozen kits available.
- When in-doubt, consider our Dry Serum Test Kits, which have 2+ weeks of stability without temperature constraints.
- 1.0 – 1.5 mL Serum, collected in SST preferred
- Fasting not required (preferred for B12 tests)
- Avoid severe hemolysis and lipemia
- Apply to Dried Specimen Test Kit immediately (Or freeze in a non-additive tube if not applying to device)
Inside DSTK Packaging: Specimen Stable for 14-21 days
If not immediately applying to DSTK, specimen may be stored in -20c freezer (standard freezer) for 30 days prior to application on DSTK.
Dried Serum Test Kit
Specimen must be packaged in the foil pouch containing the barcode, then inside the the white and yellow return envelope. Samples must arrive to the lab within 14 days of preparation. Missing either the internal foil pouch, or return envelope may result in sample rejection.
PO Box 2217
Simi Valley, CA 93062-2217
Frozen Serum Tests
Please contact VDI prior to shipping for test requirements and shipping requirements.
4685 Runway St. STE K
Simi Valley, CA 93063
Frequently Asked Questions
Dried Serum Collection Kit Common Errors
- Do not allow specimen to air-dry
- Device goes inside foil pouch, then inside the return envelope
- Improper pipetting [under/overfill]
- Failure to adequately close packaging
- Fill out ALL patient information, including name on the foil bag
- Include Test Requisition Form
VDI tests specimens Mon-Fri, excluding holidays. Reports are typically generated the day the specimen arrives, typically around 1700 PST.
Access Lab Reports Online
Lab reports can be accessed on the My Account page. Reports are issued to the submitting facility/clinic.